The wine cooler has become a staple in any kitchen. There are many different types of refrigerators for wine, but few can compare to the benefits of an under-counter wine cooler. These coolers are cost-effective, easier to install than other types, and they look great in any kitchen.
Installation of a Wine Cooler Under the Counter
- Start by determining the location of your wine cooler. The cooler needs to be positioned in an area without obstructions and within reach of an electrical outlet. If you plan to install the cooler on top of your existing counter, remove any built-ins or permanent appliances.
- Customize the space by adding tile work or other decorative elements to create a cohesive design with your existing countertop.
- Determine the size of the wine cooler that you need to fit into your space. Measure the height, width, and depth of your countertop.
- Taking measurements during the planning stage can ensure that you choose an appliance that will fit properly.
- Choose the appropriate cooling method based on your storage needs. Open-air wine coolers are cheaper than others, but they do not even maintain your wine collection temperature. If you want to ensure that your bottles remain chilled at all times, you need to invest in a refrigerator or compressor-based model.
- Choose the inset type if you want to install an under-counter wine cooler that takes up less space. The inset type requires you to remove your countertop by cutting through the face frame or if your countertop has no frame, select the drop-down type.
- Consider lighting at this stage. You can choose any lighting for your wine cooler depending on your needs and personal preference. LED lighting is one of the most energy-efficient ways to illuminate your bottle collection.
- If you want to install a wine cooler under-counter, you need to prepare the wall surface for the appliance. Make sure that you have removed any debris or clutter in this area.
- Clean the wall with a quality detergent and water solution to remove any grease, dirt, or stains. Ensure that you are cleaning both sides of the wall to create a smooth surface for your wine cooler installation.
- Next, use a level to create a perfectly vertical surface before you install the wall studs. The proper installation of the studs will provide additional support for your wine cooler, and it will improve the overall aesthetics of your countertop.
- Measure and cut through the wall studs to fit your wine cooler into your space. You can use a knife or a saw to cut through the metal framing materials.
- If you need to anchor the wine cooler to the wall, use an anchor specifically made for wall-mounted wine coolers.
- The bottle rack is one of the essential accessories in any wine collection because it will showcase your unique vintage bottles. Without a proper display, the bottles will go unnoticed and hidden away from sight. You can choose any wine rack that fits your décor and style.
- Install the bottle rack by mounting it securely on your existing wine cooler frame using screws or nails.
- Clean off any dust from the bottle rack before you start using it.
How Much Time Does the Installation Take?
The installation process is relatively easy to follow and does not require any intense labor or special skills that could leave you unsatisfied with the outcome. The time it takes to install a wine cooler under counter depends on the size of your kitchen and your home décor style. If you have a spacious kitchen, it will be easier to install the appliance because there will be more room to work with. If you have a small kitchen that is crowded with too many items, then you will need to determine a clear space in your kitchen. Using a measuring tape and a level, measure the height and width of the wall where the wine cooler will be installed. You can mark out all of your measurements on a piece of cardboard for future reference. Afterward, you can take off any permanent appliances from your countertop before cutting through the studs for mounting the wine cooler.
Types of Wine Coolers:
Under-counter models: Under-counter wine coolers are one of the most convenient storage devices for wine collectors. These refrigerators maintain an even temperature while eliminating the need for any special wiring or plumbing. As long as you have enough counter space, you can install an under-counter wine cooler anywhere in your kitchen.
Open-air models – open-air models are one of the least expensive types on the market, but they do not offer temperature control for your bottles. If you want to ensure that your bottles remain chilled at all times, you need to invest in a refrigerator or compressor-based model.
Insulated wine coolers – inset models are one of the most popular types because they require less space than other wine coolers. You can choose any insulation depending on your needs and personal preference.
- The installation process is simple because the refrigerator can be mounted directly on your countertop without cluttering up your valuable space or compromising aesthetics.
- The wine cooler has many benefits. You don’t need to place the refrigerator under your counter. The wine cooler can be installed on a wall and still look elegant and clean.
- You save space because the wine cooler will be taking up only one-third of your counter space.
- The small footprint allows you to utilize natural light and open up your kitchen to other elements such as windows and kitchen cabinets that would otherwise go unused.
- Stylish wine coolers are easy to install.
As you can see, installing a wine cooler under the counter is simple and easy. There are many benefits to this type of installation. It will save you space, look attractive, and give you access to electricity. Even if your countertop has an existing frame built into it, you can still install a wine cooler that fits into the space without damaging the frame or your countertop.